We all love the luxury of going to a spa or salon and being pampered, but with prices ranging from $50 to well over $100, these are treats most of us can’t afford very often.
That’s a real shame, because regular facials are needed to keep us looking our best. We should all be doing a basic facial every two weeks, with a more thorough treatment every four to six weeks. Doing a facial at home is easier than it sounds, will save you a TON of money, and will keep your face looking younger longer.
A basic facial involves a thorough cleaning, exfoliation, and moisturizing; with the addition of a mask and more intensive moisturizing for the more involved version. The exact products used should be based on your skin type and any specific problems such as acne, but the general procedure is the same. You’ll need some basic supplies, many of which you probably have on hand already. You need:
- makeup remover
- cotton balls or pads
- cotton swabs
- cleanser for your skin type
- a mild astringent
- a gentle exfoliant
- moisturizer for your skin type
- clean washcloths and towels
- eye cream or lotion
- facial mask for your skin type
- a way to keep your hair out of your face
[easyazon-block asin=”B0011N77IS” align=”none”]
- Put your hair up to keep it out of your face. Optional: Prepare a cup of strong tea using herbs appropriate for your skin type (1 or 2 tsp of herb to 1 cup of boiling water, pour the water over the herbs and allow to steep and cool while you clean your face.)
- Remove any makeup you may be wearing that requires a makeup remover and wash your face thoroughly using a cleanser appropriate for your skin type. Rinse well.
- Use your exfoliant, avoiding the delicate area around the eyes, and using gentle circular movements to remove dead skin cells. This process should take about 5 to 10 minutes.
- If you chose to prepare a tea; place a towel over your pillow, strain the herbs out of the tea, soak a clean washcloth in it and wring out the excess (leave it wet, but not dripping.) Lie down and spread the warm cloth over your face, leaving it until it cools.
- Apply your mask and lie down and relax for the time specified in the directions.
- Rinse thoroughly with cool water to close the pores, and follow with your astringent.
- Moisturize and use your eye cream or lotion.
[easyazon-block asin=”0007104456″ align=”none”]
[easyazon-block asin=”B004SCRM6Q” align=”none”]