When a person suffers from sleep disorder he finds it difficult to have relaxed and sound sleep like others do.
They do not get enough sleep and get up often during sleep. The continuation of such condition is sleep disorder and it’s not just restricted to the adults but even small children can be the victim. Sleep deprivation hampers the body’s normal functions and cause break down.
There is a point till when the body can take this and then it starts to become sluggish, tired, lethargic and unable to function properly. It may also lead to other diseases. Is your child suffering from sleep deprivation? If it’s been a long time since it is continuing, its time you took it seriously and made steps to bring things under control.
Sleep disorder in children may not become apparent at first but you will have to notice any abnormal sleeping pattern in them. The symptoms for sleep deprivation in children may be of following types:
- Breathing pauses during sleep
- Unexplained decrease in day time activities
- Unusual occurrences during sleep
- Difficulty in staying awake during the day time
- Excessive sleeping
- Problems with sleeping through the night
If you find any of the above mentioned signs of sleep disorder in your child you should take gentle steps to bring the things to normal in your toddler’s life. First, try to use some natural methods, so that he could have a nice and sound sleep.
Inflatable bed made specially for kids such as AeroBed Sleep can help to provide a portable, compact, and perfect bed for your kids.
The child may not be able to convey to you the problems properly and it’s you who should mark any abnormality in sleep that your child has developed. If the problem continues better consult with a doctor. If ignored for long it may become a cause for:
- Behavior problems
- Accidents and Injuries
- Slow reaction time
- Mood problems
- Performance problems
- Problems with memory, concentration and learning new things
As parents it’s their primary duty to help ease the sleeping problem of the child. The parents can adopt the following measures:
- Try and create a bedtime routine like a fixed time to go to bed and to wake up in the morning. This would make him sleepy at the correct time.
- Play your music box and TV at low sound so that your toddler sleeps soundly
- Keep the room temperature where your child sleeps conducive to good sleep. Also keep the bedroom dark.
- Avoid giving your child caffeine rich food or drink close to bedtime. Also keep the quantity of meals small and adequate
- Keep the room away from any pet you may have. As they may wake up the little child. Check some natural remedies here.
If even after having tried all home based and herbal remedies, your child still complains of sleep disorder better consult a doctor and also child psychologist who will provide necessary assistance to your child.
Read Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth and get to tunderstand more on creating a well-rested family especially for your children!
Erica is a Writer based in Houston, Texas. She writes on a variety of topics including health care and lifestyle of people.